Mainstream interest in cryptoasset markets have exploded. Bitcoin and many other cryptoassets increased more than tenfold over the past 12 months and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) went from little-known niche to a regular topic in social media and on the nightly news. The headlines and national attention to cryptoassets attracted billions of dollars of new investment, led heavily by traditional investors looking for outsized returns.
Many questions remain regarding elder law, estate planning, and trust administration when cryptoassets are involved. In this presentation, we will visit the intersection of elder law and crypto, with focus on legal strategies that address the tax treatment of crypto, advanced planning strategies and considerations when a client holds crypto, trust and entity funding challenges, and trust administration issues to be addressed for the client who holds – or who someday may hold – crypto in their estate.
What will participants learn during the free webinar?
- Basic functional differences among types of cryptoassets.
- Growing popularity of bitcoin and other cryptoassets among clients.
- Status of tax treatment and emerging tax issues concerning cryptoassets.
- How prevailing ethos of crypto frustrates conventional planning and custody techniques.
- Planning opportunities and drafting considerations when planning with cryptoassets.
Webinar Recorded: July 15, 2021
Presenter: Matthew T. McClintock, J.D., Partner, Evergreen Legacy Planning, LLP
Duration: 74 minutes