Advanced VA Pension Planning Webinar Oct 2020 Recordings
Recorded October 15, 2020, 12:00-3:00 p.m. ET
Presented by Robert E. Blumberg, Esq. and Valerie Peterson, J.D.
CLE: 3 hours
Satisfies bi-annual continuing VA CLE eligibility requirement for attorneys in all 50 states.
Pre-approved for state CLE: AK, AR, CA, FL, HI, ME, MT, ND, NJ, NY, PA. Attorney will self apply in states not listed.
Pending Approval: CO, OH, KS
This 3-hour advanced VA pension planning webinar will focus on the new eligibility rules, how they will impact your planning process, and opportunities that exist under the new rules.
Specific topics that will be covered:
- Biggest impacts the new rules make
- Lookback and penalty period
- Net worth limits
- Dealing with the home
- Understanding the medical expense deductions
- Appropriate spend downs
- Understanding how the lookback and penalty period works
- Planning Strategies Under the New Pension Rules
- Opportunities available for immediate eligibility
- Planning strategies for longer term planning
- The role of irrevocable trusts and proper drafting
- How the VA will evaluate trusts
- Recent case law
- How to achieve tax objectives
- Filing a VA Application
- Proper forms to use for a Veteran or a surviving spouse
- Timing – when to file when there is a penalty period
- How to respond to requests from the VA